Located along Interstate 75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville, Tennessee, Athens provides visitors with a variety of attractions. Life Care Center of Athens, located in the city, also has easy access to the Cherokee National Forest. For a day trip, we suggest:
- The Athens, Tennessee, Tourism Department provides links to local attractions as well as a guide to restaurants, hotels and festivals.
- America’s largest underground lake, The Lost Sea includes guided tours of the caverns and a glass-bottom boat ride over the lake.
- The McMinn County Living Heritage Museum is home to more than 9,000 artifacts, detailing the history of the first settlers through the 1940s.
- The Cherokee National Forest covers more than 650,000 acres of land and features more than 600 miles of walking trails, seven whitewater rivers, 30 campgrounds and three large lakes.
- Mayfield Dairy, founded in 1910, provides tours of its diary production. Visitors can also browse the gift shop and visit the old-fashioned ice cream parlor.